Welcome to PakSarZameen Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

#MIPSTERZ: Muslim Hipsterz have more style than You

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

Ahmad\

Ahmad\

le hipster

• Super Mods
  • 3018 posts

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=68sMkDKMias

'Mipsterz' 'Somewhere In America' Video Showcases Muslim Hipster Swag; Sparks A Passionate Discussion

"Somewhere In America," these fierce and fly Muslim girls rule the urban landscape on skateboards, in high heels, and in hijabs, to the beat of a Jay-Z soundtrack.

o-ASFDJKL-570.jpg?1

They're "mipsterz," or Muslim hipsters, according to theFacebook page, which describes them, among other things, as:

A Mipster is someone who seeks inspiration from the Islamic tradition of divine scriptures, volumes of knowledge, mystical poets, bold prophets, inspirational politicians, esoteric Imams, and our fellow human beings searching for transcendental states of consciousness. A Mipster is an ironic identity, one that serves more as a perpetual critique of oneself and of society.

o-ASFD-570.jpg?2

Abbas Rattani and Habib Yazdi of Sheikh & Bake Productions released the visually arresting video, which has sparked a larger discussion about what it means to be an American Muslim woman.

o-ASDFS-570.jpg?1

Reactions have been mixed, with some finding the video problematic for its focus on the appearance of the fashion-forward women that star in the film, among other reasons.

4c0065b04d38991f7f7e609d5133b810_normal.@TheKaouther 
Kaouther Ferjani
@SanaSaeed this is just sad. Promoting 'palatable' and cool hijab to show we're not that diff screams insecurity & not progress. I don't

35dc3e2564f4f7c0bdb6b8e481338152_normal.@JilanVegas 
JilanBakrArmstrong
#Hijab isn't a fashion statement it is a statement of how we live our life.#Mipsterz

The process of creating ‘normal’ is also stripping us, especially women, away from central parts of our faith. The Mipsterz video is hard to stomach for so many because it throws the increasing Islamofashionista culture into your face. Catwalk ready, catwalk strut and catwalk ‘tude seem so antithetical to what we know and expect, sometimes zealously, as Islamic modesty. This isn’t about policing what we wear and how or about casting judgment, but about the sort of culture we’re creating for Muslim women’s dress that is no diferrent than the images and lifestyles sans hijab we criticize. -Sana SaeedI am not here to pass judgment on anyone, whether it is a woman who struts the streets with no clothes or a woman who walks in black from head to toe. But I am here to judge a trend that is pairing “swag,” “hijab,” and empowerment in a tightly wrapped bundle that conceals what hijab truly encompasses. The women in this video are strong and demand respect. The trends this video echoes are not. -Fatima Waseem

There is more to the article which for some file extension I cannot post all. Those interested in reading all, can click on the following link:

http://www.huffingto...&comm_ref=false

o-MIP-570.jpg?1

"But the thing about Ronaldo... Ronaldo could play for Millwall, QPR, Doncaster Rovers or anyone and he'd score a hat-trick. I'm not sure Messi could do it." - Sir Alex Ferguson

Electric

Electric

Disguised Punjaban

• Moderators
  • 1225 posts

I am personally so sick and tired of these hijab experiements and the constant need being shown by those females who observe the hijab to be "different". Nothing changes if you cover yourself.. you still remain human and you are entitled to the same rights and respect everyone deserves. 
Why do we have to do all this to fit in  and blahh..

>_<

Say (O Muhammad SAW): "Verily, my Salat (prayer), my sacrifice, my living, and my dying are for Allah, the Lord of the 'Alamin (mankind, jinns and all that exists). [6:162]

lahoriii

lahoriii

Lt. Commander

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts

is being cool haram too now? 

jinxjack

jinxjack

Lt. Commander

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
  • LocationTime and space.....

I really don't see an issue here, AM I missing something?

I sometimes write at ageekyworld.com, visit it if you want.

Ahmad\

Ahmad\

le hipster

• Super Mods
  • 3018 posts

I really don't see an issue here, AM I missing something?

I saw some heated debates on this article.

The problem is of interpretation and matter of perception.

One popular opposing view suggested that commercializing Hijab this way defeats the purpose of putting it on. Second view was what was described in the article, that while keeping Hijab you can still follow fashion and style, and Hijab doesn't limit you to being an outcast. Nonetheless, it was fun reading about different takes of people on it. 

"But the thing about Ronaldo... Ronaldo could play for Millwall, QPR, Doncaster Rovers or anyone and he'd score a hat-trick. I'm not sure Messi could do it." - Sir Alex Ferguson

jinxjack

jinxjack

Lt. Commander

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts

I saw some heated debates on this article.

The problem is of interpretation and matter of perception.

One popular opposing view suggested that commercializing Hijab this way defeats the purpose of putting it on. Second view was what was described in the article, that while keeping Hijab you can still follow fashion and style, and Hijab doesn't restrain you to being an outcast. Nonetheless, it was fun reading about different takes of people on it. 

ah, I see.

I kinda agree with both sides, it defeats the purpose while not defeating the purpose (If that makes any sense)?

maverick86

maverick86

Lt. Commander

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts

effing cant stand hipsters.....just cant

Ahmad\

Ahmad\

le hipster

• Super Mods
  • 3018 posts

effing cant stand hipsters.....just cant

ayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyeeeeee!!!!!

lol...you seem mad!!

what did they do to you?

jinxjack

jinxjack

Lt. Commander

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts

lol...you seem mad!!

what did they do to you?

You're not the best person to ask this, your title above the dp says 'le hipster'.... :no:

Ahmad\

Ahmad\

le hipster

• Super Mods
  • 3018 posts

You're not the best person to ask this, your title above the dp says 'le hipster'.... :no:

my brethren may hurt from such generalizations :P so I wanna know what's causing the problem....though in a true hip way, I least care about it (:

maverick86

maverick86

Lt. Commander

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts

lol...you seem mad!!

what did they do to you?

the pretentiousness gets me...really does...they act a certan way trying to 'fit' in by not 'fitting' in....its ridiculous!

Ahmad\

Ahmad\

le hipster

• Super Mods
  • 3018 posts

the pretentiousness gets me...really does...they act a certan way trying to 'fit' in by not 'fitting' in....its ridiculous!

Yeah I see. Pretentiousness in general is  just such a turn off. It is never fun if you're at the receiving end of it. But bud a lot of people I've seen in America do that, particularly I say American born Desis. try to act cool about culture and language yet totally making a mockery of themselves. lol exactly like you said 'trying to fit in but not fitting in'

mmmusa8888

mmmusa8888

Titty Master

• Super Mods
  • 6235 posts
  • LocationQuebec to Manama

Yeah I see. Pretentiousness in general is just such a turn off. It is never fun if you're at the receiving end of it. But bud a lot of people I've seen in America do that, particularly I say American born Desis. try to act cool about culture and language yet totally making a mockery of themselves. lol exactly like you said 'trying to fit in but not fitting in'

This is another Desi problem reported by lots of members

tumblr_n6ppy7jo3C1qfpe3mo2_500.gif

maverick86

maverick86

Lt. Commander

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Yeah I see. Pretentiousness in general is  just such a turn off. It is never fun if you're at the receiving end of it. But bud a lot of people I've seen in America do that, particularly I say American born Desis. try to act cool about culture and language yet totally making a mockery of themselves. lol exactly like you said 'trying to fit in but not fitting in'

I dont mind people being really different if they actually are..but i hate that idiot who tries talking world of warcraft and doesnt even know horde or alliance but is talking about it cuz its 'cool' to be 'nerdy' now....i mean f-k off mate....its like you tryna pose to be a drug dealer and dunno the difference between an eighth and a quarter and a key and brick pack...

jinxjack

jinxjack

Lt. Commander

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts

I dont mind people being really different if they actually are..but i hate that idiot who tries talking world of warcraft and doesnt even know horde or alliance but is talking about it cuz its 'cool' to be 'nerdy' now....i mean f-k off mate....its like you tryna pose to be a drug dealer and dunno the difference between an eighth and a quarter and a key and brick pack...

Homer-yells-nerd.gif

jk... :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users