Welcome to PakSarZameen Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Flu Shots- Yay or Nay?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

Electric

Electric

Disguised Punjaban

• Moderators
  • 1225 posts

Assalmualikum,

As the topic says- Flu Shots- Yay or Nay? . I work in a medical office and although my work does not require me to deal with the complexities of the medical field alot ( Thank goodness for that!) , I still come across people having dubious minds towards Flu vaccines.

Apart from a very nut case who refused to get vaccinated for it because according to him "this is a plan of the government to eradicate humans from earth", some people think flu shots do not help. Infact, they get more sick afterwards. Some say they remain flu-free for  good amount of time hence they are all up for it.

So doctors and intellects, what do you think and are you in favor of it?

:hmm: 

Say (O Muhammad SAW): "Verily, my Salat (prayer), my sacrifice, my living, and my dying are for Allah, the Lord of the 'Alamin (mankind, jinns and all that exists). [6:162]

Ahmad\

Ahmad\

le hipster

• Super Mods
  • 3018 posts

yay of course.

I have heard this stuff from patients too many times but there is no substantial evidence about any correlation of flu vaccine with people getting sick. Why it is important is because flu-virus unlike most other viruses is capable of reassortment (shifting it's genes), which is why one vaccine doesn't give life long immunity. Most of you do know that flu virus can acquire this reassortment from animals and birds genome as well. The cases of H1N1 and H5N1 should be proof enough for people to not get into all the myths regarding sickness, or Govt. conspiracies etc. 

The sickness that comes is mainly due to the self immune response but it is minimal and most people don't even get sick. Some people do but not to an extent of actual flu. As a student doctor, I cannot push anyone to get it and refuting there concerns but suggesting it is part of my job. The new  quatravalent flu vaccine can provide immunity to a much wider spectrum of strains, which is more than ever before. 

"But the thing about Ronaldo... Ronaldo could play for Millwall, QPR, Doncaster Rovers or anyone and he'd score a hat-trick. I'm not sure Messi could do it." - Sir Alex Ferguson

Electric

Electric

Disguised Punjaban

• Moderators
  • 1225 posts

yay of course.

I have heard this stuff from patients too many times but there is no substantial evidence about any correlation of flu vaccine with people getting sick. Why it is important is because flu-virus unlike most other viruses is capable of reassortment (shifting it's genes), which is why one vaccine doesn't give life long immunity. Most of you do know that flu virus can acquire this reassortment from animals and birds genome as well. The cases of H1N1 and H5N1 should be proof enough for people to not get into all the myths regarding sickness, or Govt. conspiracies etc. 

The sickness that comes is mainly due to the self immune response but it is minimal and most people don't even get sick. Some people do but not to an extent of actual flu. As a student doctor, I cannot push anyone to get it and refuting there concerns but suggesting it is part of my job. The new  quatravalent flu vaccine can provide immunity to a much wider spectrum of strains, which is more than ever before. 

I dont know if this is true. I had some people come in sick after getting the shot. Im not disregarding what you said, but not a lot, but some people, do get sick. 
What do you think about Flu Mist? I heard it contains live virus.

Say (O Muhammad SAW): "Verily, my Salat (prayer), my sacrifice, my living, and my dying are for Allah, the Lord of the 'Alamin (mankind, jinns and all that exists). [6:162]

Ahmad\

Ahmad\

le hipster

• Super Mods
  • 3018 posts

I dont know if this is true. I had some people come in sick after getting the shot. Im not disregarding what you said, but not a lot, but some people, do get sick. 
What do you think about Flu Mist? I heard it contains live virus.

Some people do get sick but there is no correlation of it with vaccine. At least nothing proven is out there. 

FluMist is the quadrivalent vaccine I was talking about. Yes it contains Live attenuated virus. There are pros and cons both. Live attenuated vaccine induce more immunity (both cellular and humoral) vs killed vaccine which can only induce humoral immunity. Because of this Live vaccine provide longer immunity and no booster shots are needed. But Live vaccine on rare occasion have reverted to virulence which means they can induce infection, whereas killed vaccine doesn't revert and are more stable. This reverting can be due to stress, any other immune system compromising infection (HIV), or chronic conditions. Also Live vaccine like FluMist can only be given to immunocompetent patients, and not recommended for immunocompromised. The thing with quadrivalent vaccine is it will cover more strains of influenza virus, and the reassortment that are most commonly suspected will be covered by it. Though it is still possible that some weird strain can develop and transfer from birds to human habitat. 

"But the thing about Ronaldo... Ronaldo could play for Millwall, QPR, Doncaster Rovers or anyone and he'd score a hat-trick. I'm not sure Messi could do it." - Sir Alex Ferguson

Electric

Electric

Disguised Punjaban

• Moderators
  • 1225 posts

Cool deal...
I know my dad has severe seasonal allergies and during winter it gets worse. So now he does get the flu vaccine before the season starts and it keeps him in good shape Alhmdulillah.

I havent gotten one but I havent had any flu or flu like symptoms or anything (Alhmdulillah for that too ;D, strong immune system i guess?) but then again i have also heard that our body does not have immunity towards flu.. is that true? 

BTW do plan to practice here or are you just here studying?

Ahmad\

Ahmad\

le hipster

• Super Mods
  • 3018 posts

Cool deal...
I know my dad has severe seasonal allergies and during winter it gets worse. So now he does get the flu vaccine before the season starts and it keeps him in good shape Alhmdulillah.

I havent gotten one but I havent had any flu or flu like symptoms or anything (Alhmdulillah for that too ;D, strong immune system i guess?) but then again i have also heard that our body does not have immunity towards flu.. is that true? 

BTW do plan to practice here or are you just here studying?

Alhamdulillah & Alhamdulillah but...

flu vaccine has nothing to do with allergies….tada' :P

so your dads allergies perhaps got better because he built immunity against them. As you age your immune system doesn't stay as smart but still as long as you are immunecompetent, sooner or later immunity will develop against allergies. Like when people move to pollen heavy regions, it will take them some time but immunity will develop eventually. Flu vaccine has nothing to do with it. Flu vaccine is for virus, allergies are just foreign particles not infections. (Enough Nerding for now :cool: )

And it's not like body doesn't build immunity against flu, the problem is flu interchange/shifts its genetic code way too often. And it's also possible that virulent strain is a combo of human/avian/swine all kind of flu…in which case it is terrible and can result in pandemic. Essentially immunity against one doesn't protect you against a new strain next year. So you have to get new vaccine every year. Which is different than lets say polio or hepatitis or measles vaccine given to patients, those doesn't change genetic code, so life long immunity. That's also why you have notice different numbers like H1N1, H5N1 etc., that's all coding. (Okay waqaiii enough Nerding….no more  :cool:)

And yeah I am settled here now, and intending to practice here too.  

Electric

Electric

Disguised Punjaban

• Moderators
  • 1225 posts

Alhamdulillah & Alhamdulillah but...

flu vaccine has nothing to do with allergies….tada' :P

so your dads allergies perhaps got better because he built immunity against them. As you age your immune system doesn't stay as smart but still as long as you are immunecompetent, sooner or later immunity will develop against allergies. Like when people move to pollen heavy regions, it will take them some time but immunity will develop eventually. Flu vaccine has nothing to do with it. Flu vaccine is for virus, allergies are just foreign particles not infections. (Enough Nerding for now :cool: )

And it's not like body doesn't build immunity against flu, the problem is flu interchange/shifts its genetic code way too often. And it's also possible that virulent strain is a combo of human/avian/swine all kind of flu…in which case it is terrible and can result in pandemic. Essentially immunity against one doesn't protect you against a new strain next year. So you have to get new vaccine every year. Which is different than lets say polio or hepatitis or measles vaccine given to patients, those doesn't change genetic code, so life long immunity. That's also why you have notice different numbers like H1N1, H5N1 etc., that's all coding. (Okay waqaiii enough Nerding….no more  :cool:)

And yeah I am settled here now, and intending to practice here too.  

Hahaha i know it doesnt, but that kinda thing goes worse in this season. And yeah dad is on antihistamine meds like zyrtec that keep it in control . We actually have this season and spring when we get the worse case of allergies.  Sneezin people errywhere *smh*

You know i love how doctors talk but half of the time i dont get a word they're saying.

Ahmad\

Ahmad\

le hipster

• Super Mods
  • 3018 posts

Hahaha i know it doesnt, but that kinda thing goes worse in this season. And yeah dad is on antihistamine meds like zyrtec that keep it in control . We actually have this season and spring when we get the worse case of allergies.  Sneezin people errywhere *smh*

You know i love how doctors talk but half of the time i dont get a word they're saying.

Yeah I know...

I know it's German for anyone not from medicine, I try not to overtly talk on medicine. Otherwise, I can go on an on…and people be like "shut the heck up…now" :order:

smh

Electric

Electric

Disguised Punjaban

• Moderators
  • 1225 posts

I think its good. My uncle always gives us some small overview so I know its worth it. better be learned than have idiots give you weird advises. Which makes me think, homeopathy.. is that even legit/

mmmusa8888

mmmusa8888

Titty Master

• Super Mods
  • 6235 posts
  • LocationQuebec to Manama
Where is adil when u need him :order:

tumblr_n6ppy7jo3C1qfpe3mo2_500.gif

Sarmad

Sarmad

Ustaad

• Administrators
  • 1072 posts

It's irresponsible to not get vaccinated. Even if you don't care about contracting influenza, you are potentially putting at risk all the infants and others who are not able to be vaccinated if you get sick and spread it to them.

VolterWight

VolterWight

Commander

• Administrators
  • 739 posts

Yay of course. Getting a flu shot doesn't guarantee that you won't sick since theres like 50 million types of strains out there, BUT, it does decrease the probability of you getting sick, which just as important. 

adil_909

adil_909

Commander

• Administrators
  • 853 posts
  • Locationthe hospital

Where is adil when u need him :order:

yaar i am too busy these days. i feel bad, i joined this forum at a time when i can't really contribute to the discussion that much.

either way, people who say "i got the flu shot, then i got the flu" are very misguided. the flu shot CANNOT give you the flu. if your immune system is so weak that you can get the flu from the flu shot, then you would spend your entire day quarrantined in some hospital. the people who get sick after the flu shot were going to get sick anway, the flu shot had nothing to do with it.

either way, everyone should get the flu shot for themselves, and for their children. influenza is terrifying. in our hospital last year, we had a perfectly healthy boy who got sick with influenza who then developped rapid muscle breakdown called "rhabdomyolysis", then developped heart failure, and was about to die when he made a remarkable recovery. influenza is not a joke. healthy adults don't get that sick with it, but if you have the flu, you can pass it to a child whose immune system is not as strong and it can be much more devastating for them. either way, please please please get the flu shot.

ahmad has explained the live vs. inactivated flu vaccines well. only couple things i will add. ahmad this year, all flu shots are quadrivalent, both the injections as well as the inhaled. it just means more strains are covered like you have said. secondly, the flu-mist should not be used in patients who have history of asthma, as it has been shown to have some increased side effects in these patients.

Posted Image

Electric

Electric

Disguised Punjaban

• Moderators
  • 1225 posts

True that. It isnt a joke and its good to see people get the flu shot nevertheless.The numbers are increasing in our office who opt to get the vaccine. 
But how old was the kid who developed whatever that was?

mmmusa8888

mmmusa8888

Titty Master

• Super Mods
  • 6235 posts
  • LocationQuebec to Manama

yaar i am too busy these days. i feel bad, i joined this forum at a time when i can't really contribute to the discussion that much.

either way, people who say "i got the flu shot, then i got the flu" are very misguided. the flu shot CANNOT give you the flu. if your immune system is so weak that you can get the flu from the flu shot, then you would spend your entire day quarrantined in some hospital. the people who get sick after the flu shot were going to get sick anway, the flu shot had nothing to do with it.

either way, everyone should get the flu shot for themselves, and for their children. influenza is terrifying. in our hospital last year, we had a perfectly healthy boy who got sick with influenza who then developped rapid muscle breakdown called "rhabdomyolysis", then developped heart failure, and was about to die when he made a remarkable recovery. influenza is not a joke. healthy adults don't get that sick with it, but if you have the flu, you can pass it to a child whose immune system is not as strong and it can be much more devastating for them. either way, please please please get the flu shot.

ahmad has explained the live vs. inactivated flu vaccines well. only couple things i will add. ahmad this year, all flu shots are quadrivalent, both the injections as well as the inhaled. it just means more strains are covered like you have said. secondly, the flu-mist should not be used in patients who have history of asthma, as it has been shown to have some increased side effects in these patients.

thanks for the info man!!! :tup:

PS: bw i think its time for u to make some modifications to your signature.....u know Villa is out...Neymar in :P

tumblr_n6ppy7jo3C1qfpe3mo2_500.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users